Monday 16 July 2012

Graduation!

So it was my graduation ceremony on Friday! The day before I wasn't very nervous, just excited, but I woke up at 5am on my graduation day wracked with nerves, to my surprise.

My ceremony was at 9.30am, so I had to be there at 8am to get my gown and tickets etc.

It was a short and formal ceremony.
At my brother Asim's graduation there was a choir singing as the guests and graduates were being seated.  There wasn't a choir at mine, but there was an organ player! So that's something.....

The weather was pretty pants.  It was raining most of the day but we were inside for most of the ceremony and stuff so wasn't that big of a deal.
Nobody told me how annoying wearing the gown and stuff is!! My sashy kind of thing that you wear on top of your gown kept slipping off, so it was very irritating.  I couldn't wait to get the darn thing off!


Yummy cake and cupcakes

Lovely flowers and chocolate gift pack from my lovely fam :D

I got a 2:1! whoop whoop
For some reason blogger has let me upload pics the normal way! yay! I think it's only cuz I'm adding 3 pics, where as last time I wanted to add about 10/15, so maybe that's why it was being stupid?

All in all it was a good day.  My family and I went out for lunch afterwards, and then me and my mum went to another mehndi (henna party thingy) in the evening, which I wasn't really in the mood for as I was so tired, but still went to anyway.
Then my extended family came over on saturday to congratulate me, so it was a busy day of cooking, entertaining and then cleaning! But I love having my family over.  My cousin was down from London with her kids so she got to come as well :D

Sunday we went to a wedding, which was a bit eh.
The hall was very crowded and stuffy.  There weren't enough seats for everyone to sit on, so people kept trying to pinch or sit on our table as soon as someone got up to go to the bathroom!  Craziness I tell you, when you can't go to the toilet out of fear of your seat being stolen!

Today is a tying up loose ends kind of day.
My friend told me about some free sewing class that will start in August.  Since I was about 13, my mum has tried to persuade me to take up sewing, purely so she could save money buy getting her suits sewn buy me, instead of spending money and getting it done by the tailor!
(Pakistanis often wear Shalwar Kameez's, which are usually bought as un-stiched material that you get tailor made to your size).

Since my friend told me about this free course (emphasis on the free), I thought I could finally complete my mothers dream of possibly sewing some clothes for her! And it's also a pretty good skill to have really, isn't it?

So I had to go to the learning centre where those classes will be held to do an assessment for some reason or another.  They did explain why I had to do it, I just didn't bother paying attention.

And I'm also going to apply to sit an exam which would allow me to work in the private sector of Audiology.  Studying Audiology at Leeds meant I graduated with the capability to work in the NHS (national health service, for those of you who don't know :D), so to work in the private sector, we have to sit another exam where we study the business side of Audiology.
Graduates from Manchester uni and other such uni's graduate with that qualification already, but for some reason Leeds university don't, which is a wee bit annoying, considering how the NHS is going down the pan, unfortunately :(

But that's a rant for another time!

I'm excited for the weekend.
Ramadan is starting on friday/saturday (depending on the sighting of the moon).
My next post will be about Ramadan, explaining why we fast during this month, and why it's considered the holiest month in Islam etc. and try to cover any myths or misunderstandings about the month (like I once had a girl ask me if I don't ear for the whole month.....err, it's supposed to be a month of spiritual and physical detox, not DEATH! :P)


If you guys have any questions you want me to answer about Ramadan, then ask away, either in this post, or the next Ramadan post. 


xo

18 comments:

  1. Yea! Congratulations! It is nice to finaLLy be finished with something after such a long time. I am getting close to the end of some thing legal that has consumed too much time and energy. My main concern at the moment is that my dog is not eating properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuuu :D

      Aww your poor doggy, is he not eating properly due to health reasons or something? Hope he gets better soon, and hope whatever it is you're involved in gets resolved soon!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on graduating :D You did really well too :) Good luck sewing too. I tried to teach myself and it didn't go too well. I could sew something, but it wouldn't stay sewn together. I went to a wedding over the weekend myself, and it was eh too. Weddings are supposed to be fun affairs xD You've been very busy indeed lately :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuuu! Aww I'm assuming your sisters wedding wasn't that great? No elvis impersonator then? :P
      I'm always busy!! can't wait for a day that I'm not busy!

      Delete
  3. Massive congratulations on your graduation! Good for you! I'm not really back into the blogging world yet - but really want to read your post about Ramadan (Ramazan??). If it's not too much trouble - I would love it if you would drop me a line and let me know when you post it. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :D And you have been notified ;)

      Delete
  4. Ahh..maybe blogger got a flood of complaints from people, so they dropped the whole charging people scheme. Anyways, congrats on everything. Remember to keep your feet on the ground, but keep reaching for the stars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe!
      Aww thats great advice! thank you. My brothers will definitely make sure that my feet are always securely on the ground!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on Graduating & good Luck 4 the future...A proud day 4 u & your Family :)
    p.s. great cake....wow!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just going to ask if you fast for the entire month, but then I saw that someone just as much of a dummy as I am asked first.

    Congratulations, by the way.

    How many wedding have you attended this year alone? I have been invited to a few, but unfortunately, they've all been too far away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :D
      I've been to 5 so far, and have another two coming up after ramadan! Aww poo that sucks that you couldn't go :( hopefully someone close buy will get hitched ;)

      Delete
  7. Congratulations on your outstanding achievement, young lady! You should be very proud of yourself Ayesha. :) I've just been catching up on your delightful blog...thank you so much for your enlightening pieces on Ramadan! I would love to talk to you about contributing a piece for my blog while I'm on my "blogger's break". Send me an email when time permits, okay? Bee Well!

    Michael
    m.mckinley@rocketmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thaaank youuu :D
      Ohhh I would be honoured to do a guest post for you! I shall e-mail you shortly :)

      Delete