Tuesday 20 December 2011

It's Christmaasssssss

Well nearly.....

Being a Muslim, Christmas isn't really of any significance for me, but I LOVE this time of the year! The fancy lights, the way everyone's mood just seems to be better, Mince Pies and the good Christmas TV.  How can I not get into the x-mas spirit!?

The big santa In Manchester Town square in the middle of the German Market (or 'International' Market)

Frankly, I'm kinda glad I don't celebrate x-mas, cuz I am BROKE! like seriously broke....like a joke.....a really, really bad joke.  It wouldn't be a problem if I just had to get presents for my immediate family, but that would not be the case if my family did x-mas.  There would be my Grandparents, aunties, uncles, cousins, and then my friends...... Goodness gracious my friends.  I mean I'm so blessed to have loads of lovely friends, but I'd probably mysteriously disappear around December every year, just to avoid the stress and depression caused by my sad, empty, studet bank account.



But I have no worries so whoop!
So usually, Christmas for us is just like any other day but with really really good or really really bad TV (they've not found a happy/medium yet).  Either way I'll probably end up watching a repeat of 'Friends' on some channel so meh.

But this year, from having no plans on x-mas, I have LOADS going on!
On x-mas eve, my lovely cousin is hosting a little feast for me and our 2 other best mates and making us all our own individual desserts!  I'm super excited, and we've all got each other presents as well so whoop whoop!

My cousin did mention the pressies could be hand made, but i thought 'forget that' and went and bought something.  I never have, and never will be good at arts and crafts.
I used to be pretty decent back in Primary school. I came 2nd, twice, once for the mothers day painting competition, and once in the Easter egg competition.
I think, like most potential legends, I peaked too soon with my artistic talents, and was never able to reach the high standard I set for myself....buckling under the pressure......Or I'm just over-thinking it and was never really that good in the first place.

Wait...I've forgotten what the point of this post was....
OH, right, so yes, X-mas eve I'm going for dinner at my cousins :D

One of my neighbours is getting married, and her wedding is on Boxing day!  Which i think is quite cool and unusual (In the Pakistani community it is anyway...).  For those of you who don't know, Pakistani weddings are split into 3 days;

Day 1 is the Mehndi, which is kinda like a henna party.  The Bride and Groom usually have separate Mehndis, where their families and friends get together to sing, dance, eat, and generally be merry before the actual wedding day.

Some Henna I had put on when I went to Pakistan in 2009

Day 2 is the Baraat.  This is basically when the Brides side of the family hosts the wedding, with guests mainly being their family, friends and with a few of the grooms close family and friends.

finally, Day 3 is the Walima.  This is where the Grooms side host with the guests mainly consisting of the boys family and friends a few of the girls close family and friends.

Exhausting right? So on Christmas day we have our neighbours Mehndi to attend, and her Wedding is on Boxing day :D so I actually have a very busy Christmas planned!

I Hope whatever faith and whatever part of the world you're in, you have a lovely Christmas, and shall leave you with a video that will make even the most serious of sceptics beleive that Santy Clause does exist....and that he's funky fresh.
 xoxo

8 comments:

  1. I never buy presents any more. My wife does and worries and frets. I just make sure everyone is okay with my kids, wife and most importantly, my dog, throughout the rest of the year. What do I really need? Well, this morning my windshield cracked badly because of the freezing weather, so that will soon be my main priority, and seat covers now that they are cracked open badly. I also love my truck! It takes good care of me getting from point A to B in this winter mess, but it is a delightful wintery white icy snowy beautiful mess, we rarely have snow for very long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very much looking forward to Xmas, and all of its festivities. Loving the henna, by the way.

    Have a lovely Xmas x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Esbboston- Let's hope funky santa gets you a new windshield and seat covers! Maybe if you do a breakdance before leaving a glass of milk and cookies out for him it'll increase your chances. If all else fails you can wear a slanket whilst driving to keep you cosy!

    Gaping mind- Thank you! Hope you have a gud'n too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My breakdancing would be so bad, so terrible that Santa would probably feel sorry for me and leave me a whole buncha stuff! Forget about the naughty and nice rules, I like your idea really well, everybody learn how to *not* breakdance for Santa! Get more stuff! Oh, wait, I'm sorry, I'm starting to sound all materialistic, and bad, and ..... just kidding! Woo Hoo, get more stuff from Santa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha that's the spirit! Let's extort Santa for all he's got!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhhhh love the holiday period at xmas time just to chillax and no work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree flower power. Relax with some mince pies :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loving the Henna & the wacky santa claus!

    ReplyDelete